The Newport Public Library has two meeting rooms which may be reserved.
McEntee Meeting Room
The McEntee Meeting room has a seating capacity of 72 chairs with no tables, or 36 chairs with six tables.
The Conference Room has a seating capacity of 8-12 chairs with four tables. - (view image)
Applying for use of meeting room
- Check the appropriate calendar to see if to see if the date and time you want is available:
- Fill out an application. Applications may be picked up at the reference desk, or you can fill out an online application.
- Turn in your signed application up to one year ahead of the meeting time requested.
- Any required fees must be paid when the application is submitted.
- The Library Director, or a designee, will approve or disapprove the application. You will be notified of the decision by email, and your meeting will be added to the online calendar as soon as possible.
- Cancellations must be made at least 72 hours in advance to receive a refund.
NOTE: The Library has preemptive rights to use the meeting room with a minimum of ten days notice to a previously scheduled group.
Meeting room user responsibilities
- Chairs, tables and a lectern are available for use. (No audio-visual equipment is available.) NOTE: The persons using the room will be responsible for arranging these items, and then for stacking chairs prior to departure and for otherwise leaving the room as they found it.
- The sponsoring organization or individual is responsible for providing any refreshments served, for keeping food and drink within the designated meeting space, for cleaning up afterwards, and for returning the room to its original condition.
- Time for setting up the meeting and cleaning up afterwards should be included in the meeting time requested.
- It is the responsibility of the person signing as authorized representative of the group to remain on the premises throughout the period for which it is reserved, to ensure the safety and security of attendees and the library facility and to further ensure that attendees observe the policies governing the public use of library facilities and meeting room.
- Library facilities and meeting room users agree to pay for any and all damages to library property including, but not limited to walls, floors, grounds and furniture while applicant is using property.
- Non-profit / government / community organizations - no charge.
- Commercial or private - $20 per hour.
Passed by the Library Board, July 16, 2003
Libraries that make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve, should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use. - From the American Library Association's Library Bill of Rights.
The Newport Public Library provides a facility for meetings on a wide variety of topics. The meeting room is reserved in accordance with the following priorities:
- Library sponsored or related programs.
- City sponsored meetings.
- Educational, civic, charitable, and cultural programs sponsored by local non-profit agencies or organizations located within the Newport Public Library service area.
- Groups affiliated with a local governmental agency.
- Commercial and private use.
Authorization for facility and meeting room use
- The Library Director is responsible for managing all library facilities, including the public meeting room. The Director or a duly authorized designee shall implement the policies outlined in this document.
- The fact that a group or organization is granted permission to meet in the Library in no way constitutes endorsement by the City of Newport, the Library, or the Library Board of Trustees of the policies or beliefs of that group or organization.
- The Library reserves the right to deny future use of the meeting room to any group or organization that does not follow its meeting room policies.
Policies Guiding the Use of Meeting Room
- The meeting room shall not be used for any purpose that would prevent, discourage or interfere with the use of the Library for purposes of research, reading and study.
- Users of the meeting room may be asked to leave if use is deemed disruptive or in any way contrary to library policy.
- Library staff may enter and remain in a meeting room at any time during a scheduled meeting.
- Unless admission is charged or a meeting is limited to a group's membership, any person may attend a meeting so long as that person complies with Library policies.
- Activities for minors, age 17 and under, must be supervised by responsible adults.
- Permission to use the meeting room is not transferable by any individual or group whose application is approved.
- Smoking is not allowed in the Library.
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in or around the Library.
- Fundraisers of any sort are considered commercial use.
- The applicant shall hold the City of Newport, its employees, and agents harmless from any claim, loss, or liability arising out of or related to the applicant's use of the premises, or from any condition of the used premises, including any such claim, loss or liability which may be caused by or contributed to in whole or in part by the City, its employees and agents. The applicant shall indemnify the City, (1) for any damage to the City's property occurring during the use thereof, whether or not the applicant is responsible therefore and (2) for expenses and costs, including attorney's fees, incurred by the City or its employees and agents, in defending against any claims or demands for losses or liability arising from or related to the applicant's use of the premises.