Youth Basketball League Rules:
(5th & 6th Grade)
Governed by OSAA rules with the following exceptions:
All coaches will be held responsible for insuring that they themselves, their players, and their spectators do not engage in any unsportsmanlike behavior, either physical or verbal.
The referees’ decision is final. We will back our officials 100 percent, and feel that it is completely unacceptable for a parent or spectator to question the officials in any way. The goal of the league is to provide the best possible environment for the children to grow as athletes and individuals, so please keep their best interests in mind at all times.
Teams: Boys and Girls will play on separate teams and will play in their own leagues. If an area cannot field a team of each gender they may enter a coed team in the boys league only. We will have an A and B league at this age group. The most competitive players should be placed onto an A team. Players may move from one league to another during the season 1 time. They may not play on both an A and B team for the season. Players may only play with only one team during the tournament. Since we only have one league for girls, they will be following the B-League Rules.
General Rules (apply to both A and B leagues)
- Teams play 4, 8-minute quarters with stopped clock.
- Clock will move to running clock if a team is up by 20 in the fourth quarter.
- There will be 1 minute between quarters.
- Halftime is 5 minutes
- The clock will stop for time outs.
- If a team is playing an illegal defense, clock will stop and a warning will be given. The ball will be inbounded by the offense.
- Relaxed 3 second rule. Referees are encouraged to verbalize 3 seconds, but not blow the whistle until 5 seconds have elapsed in the key.
- Game ball size shall be 28.5
- 20 Point lead Rule: When a team is leading by 20 points, they may no longer press, trap, or play defense over the half court line. If there is a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter the game will move to a running clock and only will stop for injuries and time-outs.
- Playing time may be awarded as the coach sees fit.
- Only half-court man to man defense can be played in the first half
- In the second half Zone and full court pressure is allowed.
- Each player will play equal playing time unless that player has exhibited disrespect, poor attitude, or has violated any other team rule or policy. If a player is being held out of the game for any reason the coach must put a note in the official game book to that effect.
- Full-Court defense may only be played in the 2nd half.
- No Zone
- A zone press/trap is a zone
- Help side man-to-man is not a zone
- A matchup zone is a zone
- Double teams out of a help situation are allowed, but if players are waiting in trapping zones, this is obviously a zone.
Each player will play equal playing time unless that player has exhibited disrespect, poor attitude, or has violated any other team rule or policy. If a player is being held out of the game for any reason the coach must put a note in the official game book to that effect.
Newport Parks and Recreation - Sports - (541)-574-5453