To provide the opportunity for young residents of our response district to learn and
use individual and team skills in an emergency environment.
The program will be open to residents of Newport and the Newport Rural Fire
Protection District, for 16 and 17 year-olds, those persons selected for participation will be
expected to train, participate and take an active part in the organization, subject to certain
- Cadets will obey the constitution, bylaws, SOPs and SOGs and perform as would any other
- Cadets must maintain a 2.5 GPA and have no failing classes, nor any unexcused absences.
(With the exception of special circumstances, i.e. IEP or other)
- Cadets will have the same rights, privileges and responsibilities as any other member.
Other limitations notes will apply.
- Cadet must have permission of parent or guardian to join and parent or guardian must be
included in interview.
- Cadet candidate must complete “Essentials” and balance of Firefighter I Academy within 6
- Training goal for cadet is to complete Basic Firefighter Task Performance (Phases I and II)
within the first year and Firefighter I in second year.
- Cadet program initially will accept no more than 4 persons, with expansion at the
discretion of the Fire Chief.
- Cadets will perform tasks and duties under supervision of an Officer( at minimum a nonprobationary
ACTIVITIES NOT ALLOWED:
- A Cadet will not make interior attack or be allowed in an IDLH (imminent danger of life or
- A Cadet will not operate power tools, vehicles or apparatus.
- A Cadet will not work on ladders over 25 feet.
- A Cadet will not respond to calls during school hours.
- A Cadet will not respond to calls later than 10 p.m. on school nights and midnight on all
- A Cadet will not participate in a technical function with any technical rescue (example: high angle rope rescue.)
- A Cadet will not be allowed to work a Stipend Shift.
- A Cadet is not allowed to respond to a call POV (personal vehicle) they are to respond to the fire station only, unless other prior arrangements have been made
Please print out and complete the attached Cadet Application Form. Completed forms can be returned to the Main station.
Cadet Program Application Form