Go to main content
Administration Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

What are Newport's laws?

The City of Newport has ordinances that cover a wide variety of subjects, including issues relating to noise, animal control, traffic, parking, nuisance, and many other subjects. Most ordinances are compiled in the Newport Municipal Code.

The Municipal Code has a complete index at the beginning of the document, and a chapter index at the beginning of each chapter.

How can I obtain city records?

The City Council has adopted "Public Record Request Policies and Procedures," which are available in the "Records" section of the city recorder's pages, or by clicking on the following link: City of Newport Public Record Request Policies and Procedures. This document will contain the records request forms and fee schedules.

When does the Council meet?

Regular City Council meetings are held on the first and third Mondays of each month at 6:00pm. Council may hold meetings at other times. All meetings are posted on the city's website and at the City Hall, Recreation Center, and Library.

Are meeting agendas available on the City's website?

The agendas of city meetings are posted on the city's website. City Council packets are also compiled electronically and posted on the website. The packet contains all the information that Council will be using in their consideration of various issues. Confidential information is not included in the packet.

When are City Council Meetings televised?

City Council meetings are televised on the Government Access channel on Charter, channel 190.

I have lost my birth certificate. How do I get a new one?

The City of Newport does not maintain birth certificates. Birth certificates may be obtained from the Vital Records Unit of the Oregon Health Division in Portland. The telephone number for that office is 503.731.4095.

Can I get a marriage license at city hall?

The Lincoln County Clerk's Office issues marriage licenses. This office is located at 225 West Olive Street, Newport, Oregon 97365, and can be reached by telephone at 541.265.4131.

I received a traffic ticket - where do I go to court?

Persons receiving minor traffic violations that occurred within the city limits of Newport may be scheduled into the Municipal Court. On the front of the citation, in the lower left corner, a date, time, and court should be listed. The Newport Municipal Court is located at 169 SW Coast Highway. If a ticket contains another address, you should contact the court associated with that address. The state courts also have a presence in Newport and are located at 225 West Olive Street.

How do I register to vote?

Voter registration forms may be obtained at the County Clerk's Office and at DMV. offices. The County Clerk's Office is located at 225 West Olive Street, Newport, and DMV offices are located throughout the state. Registration must be completed no less than 21 days prior to an election.

How do I obtain a passport?

Passports may be obtained through the County Clerk's Office. This office is located at 225 West Olive Street, Newport. Information is available by telephone at 541.265.4131, and by accessing the U.S. Department of State website at www.travel.state.gov/content/passports.