Go to main content
Home Menu

Burn Information


FDB Logo

Lincoln County Fire Defense Board

TO: All Media
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
For Immediate Release


Yard Debris Burning allowed in Lincoln County effective Thursday, September 19. The Lincoln County Fire Defense Board, and the nine fire protection agencies are opening burn season Thursday, September 19, 2019. With our recent rain and forecasted precipitation, the risk of fire spread has decreased and is expected to remain at a low level.

This summer’s weather was not as dry as the previous 2 summers. This kept fuel moisture levels higher and moderated fire danger throughout our region. We thank the public for adhering to the burn regulations this summer. Their cooperation, along with the quick response of all of our Lincoln County firefighters helped keep wildfires to a minimum.

Many Lincoln County fire agencies require a permit to burn yard debris (also known as open burning.) We encourage the public to contact their local fire agency for specific regulations regarding burning of yard debris. Below is contact information for all Lincoln County Fire Agencies:


North Lincoln Fire & Rescue Depoe Bay Fire District Newport Fire
541-996-2233 541-764-2202

Seal Rock Fire District Central OR Coast Fire Dist. Yachats Rural
Fire Prot. Dist.
541-563-4441 541-563-3121

Siletz Valley Fire District Toledo Fire Dept./E.L.C.R.F.P.D Oregon Dept. of
Forestry (Toledo Unit)
541-444-2043 541-336-3311

Robert Murphy
Fire Chief, Newport Fire Department Lincoln County Fire Defense Board Chief







In an effort to bring clarity and uniformity to conditions of fire use in our community the following terms and definitions will be used.  At times some confusion may exist and the final decision on conditional use will reside with the Fire Chief or Fire Marshal to protect the community as a whole.

Burning Ban:  This announcement will occur after a discussion with all Lincoln County fire agencies as a result of high temperatures, low humidity, high winds, periods of drought, Red Flag Warnings, sustained low fuel moisture recovery or regional impacts that affect fire control capabilities.  During this level all outdoor solid based fires (charcoal and wood) are not to be used, gas grills are still allowed in most instances.

Burning Suspension:  A burning suspension relates to yard debris burning by permit. On occasion a suspension may, occur during that period known as the burning season.  The suspension typically is for a short period of time and is used to reduce the threat of fire escape from a controlled fire to a wildfire.

Recreation Fires:  Recreation fires are those fires where firewood in natural form are used (May be used for cooking, pleasure, religious, ceremonial, warmth or other such purposes) no construction material such as 2X4 dimensional lumber, plywood, demolition residue or plastics are allowed.  The fire shall be attended at all times. Shall not be conducted within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material, shall not be any larger than 3 feet in diameter, and shall not exceed 2 feet (24 inches) in height.  Recreation fires do not, in most instances require a permit.

Burning Permit/Yard Debris: The fire debris burning pile can be no larger than 3 feet (36”) by 3 feet (36”) and 2 feet (24”) tall.  Construction materials, dimensional lumber and plywood or plastics are not allowed.  Land clearing of large piles of debris is not a permit function of NFD, contact Oregon Department of Forestry concerning land clearing (541)-336-2273.  A water source to extinguish the fire is required and must be present at all times during burning.  All material being burned must be from the property where burning is taking place.  Fires in an open pit must be 25 feet from the nearest building, shed or wood fence.  Burn barrels must be at least 15 feet from the nearest building, shed or wooden fence.  Newport Fire department must be contacted at 541-265-9461 each day before initiating yard debris burning.  Should you reach a recording at this number leave your name, address and permit number on the voice mail.




Burn Permits are free of charge and can be obtained by contacting th Fire Station.


Updated 3/20/2020